Summer Workshops Accommodation Options
This information was current for summer 2016; check back for updates in spring 2017.
Many workshop participants choose to stay at MSU's Owen Graduate Center, a cost-effective option. Other participants may prefer to make their own arrangements and stay at other accommodations near MSU's campus.
Owen Graduate Center (on MSU campus)
This is a student residence hall. Reservations for workshop participants must be made online through Residential and Hospitality Services (see instructions under "Reserving Owen Rooms" below) no later than June 30, 2016.
- Daily rate (per person) single occupancy: $35 per night (plus 6% sales tax, $37.10/night total)
- Check in: 3:00pm, Check out: 11:00am
- Participants will pay Owen Graduate Center directly (not CLEAR).
- Payment by credit card is preferred upon check-in at Owen.
- Please inform Owen Graduate Center of any medical needs when checking in
- Lodging rates do not include a meal allowance. A la carte meals are available at the Riverwalk Market Cafe in Owen Graduate Center (open 7:30am-6:30pm during the summer) or at the cafeteria at Shaw Hall (open 7:00-10:00am for breakfast, 11:00am-2:00pm for lunch, 5:00-8:00pm for dinner during summer). Meal prices at Shaw are: $5.25 for breakfast, $9.75 for lunch, and $9.75 for dinner, plus tax. Meal prices at Owen equate to approximately the same amount as Shaw. Shaw Hall is located a short distance from Owen, just east along the river. Dining facilities are also available in the International Center next to Wells Hall, in the Student Union, and on Grand River Avenue in downtown East Lansing.
Basic Facts for Owen Rooms
- Room Size: approximately 11'9 x 8'6, single occupancy; double occupancy is double the size
- Furniture: twin bed, desk, chair, and dresser
- Bathrooms: suites, two rooms connected by a shared bathroom
- Linens: sheets and towels, pillow and blanket are provided
- Air Conditioning: NOT provided (may want to bring a fan if possible)
- Ethernet Connections: available via the campus system (bring your own cable)
- Wi-fi: available in lobbies, lounges and dining area
- Smoke-Free: All rooms are smoke-free.
- Barrier-Free: Barrier-free upon request.
- Onsite Facilities: laundry room, game and TV room, ATM
Reserving Owen Rooms
- Please contact Geoff Parkerson directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. He will make reservations for each individual. Please include:
- The name(s) of the CLEAR workshop(s) you are attending (also be sure to specify that you are with CLEAR)
- Your first and last name
- Your gender (rooms are singles with a shared bath in between; they make sure people on either side of the bathroom are the same gender)
- Your check-in date (for most people this is the night before your workshop starts)
- Your check-out date (may be the last day of your workshop, or the next day if you stay that extra night)
Some hotels offer an MSU rate. When making your reservations, be sure to ask for any MSU or Big Ten applicable discounts. The prices listed above are subject to change depending on weekdays vs. weekends, special events, etc.
55 South Harrison Road
Fax: (517) 353-1872
$140/night + tax (includes parking) depending on availability (ask for Big Ten rate)
Fax: (517) 332-1459
$69.99/night + tax (Sun-Thurs), $89.00/night + tax (Fri-Sat) Rates are subject to change without notice. Groups of 10 or more should speak with the groups department at 800.874.9000 Monday through Friday, 8AM to 5PM EST.
Fax: (517) 351-8101
Suite at MSU rate:
- $95 + tax for 1 to 6 nights
- $85/night for 7-14 days
- $75/night for 15-29 days
Fax: (517) 381-7301
$155-210 + tax normal rate
(approximately a 10 minute walk to Wells Hall)
Fax: (517) 482-0557
CLEAR encourages all workshop participants to make their reservations early due to special events.