The Center of Language Education and Research (CLEAR) in the College of Arts and Letters at Michigan State University was established in 1996 as a Language Resource Center (LRC) through a Title VI grant from the U.S. Department of Education. As an LRC, CLEAR strives to promote and support the teaching and learning of foreign languages in the United States through its various projects and outreach activities.
In September 2014, CLEAR began its sixth funding cycle as one of 16 LRCs across the country. CLEAR continues to develop materials for foreign language teaching and learning, conduct research on the teaching and learning of foreign languages, and provide professional development opportunities for educators in the field.
CLEAR's Projects for 2014-18
CLEAR's current projects are arranged into four categories:
- Materials Development Projects
- Professional Development and Outreach Projects
- Research Projects
- Collaborative Projects
Each category contains projects which focus on achieving CLEAR's overall goals as an LRC. The projects are led by faculty members with the support of CLEAR faculty and graduate students. A National Advisory Board (comprised of individuals of national and international reputation in the field of foreign languages) assists in the guidance of the projects.
CLEAR's projects for the current funding year (2015-16) in each category are as follows:
Materials Development Projects
- Rich Internet Applications Showcase and Sharesite
- Culturally Speaking in Chinese
Professional Development and Outreach Projects
- Invited Professional Development Workshops
- Summer Professional Development Workshops
- Assessment Literacy of K-16 Foreign Language Teachers
- CALICO Conference 2016
- Perceptions about and the Reality of Difficulty Differences in Learning of Foreign Languages
- Less Commonly Taught Languages Database (LCTLBase)
- Benefits of Foreign Language Study: A View from Early Learners, Heritage Learners, and Late Learners
- An Update of Second Language Development in Writing: Measures of Fluency, Accuracy, and Complexity
- Language Learning & Technology (collaborative w/University of Hawai'i's NFLRC)
- Professional Development Workshops for LCTL Instructors (collaborative w/numerous MSU NRCs)
- World Languages Day (collaborative w/numerous MSU NRCs and CIBER)
- Collaboration on Joint LRC Publicity (collaborative with all LRCs)
CLEAR materials are based upon work supported by the U.S. Department of Education, under Title VI B special project numbers P229A60012, P229A990012, P229A020001, P229A060011, P229A100002, and P229A140006. Any opinion, conclusions or recommendations expressed in these products are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the U.S. Department of Education.